Join Electric Objects
We’re a team of 12 people based in New York City, in an open loft apartment in Alphabet City.
We’re artists, performers, painters, and sculptors. Everyone on the team is passionate about art and the creative and distributive potential of the Internet.
We’re looking to find people who share our passion for the arts, and our fascination with computers and what they can bring to our culture. While we’re hiring for a handful of specific roles, if you find this project fascinating, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
We are a diverse company actively looking for applicants from all backgrounds, including those that are typically underrepresented in technology.
Director of Curation
Art is a vehicle for stories. It is an opportunity to connect with something outside of ourselves: a historical moment, a personal moment, a challenging idea, a feeling that we can’t quite articulate.
Art is coded in a visual language, and it often speaks softly. The role of the curator is to increase the experiential value of the work, by elevating its message, situating it and its author in a context within which its meaning becomes clearer, louder, and more impactful to an audience.
Electric Objects offers artists a direct and immediate connection into the homes of a large global audience. That immediacy is unique to our platform, and empowers the artist and curator to connect with what is happening right now.
Our curatorial mission at Electric Objects is to help people build meaningful emotional connections to art by shining a light on artists past and present who offer a message that resonates with our audience today.
Your job will be to find stories to tell through the most extraordinary works of art from history and the future. You will commission artists whose work does not yet exist, work that interrogates the very technology that makes Electric Objects possible, and identify historical artworks that carry a timeless meaning still relevant to our world today.
This role requires deep thoughtfulness about the history of art, a nose for what’s happening in the world right now, and a sense for how art can respond to it, quickly.
The Director of Curation is responsible for setting and leading the editorial and curatorial strategy for the company. This is a full time position in NYC and it reports to the CEO.
Here's what you'll do:
- You will oversee the editorial and curatorial direction and operations for all original and pre-existing art that we produce.
- You will set the direction for our commissions program and art partnerships. In 2016 we will spend over $100,000 commissioning new art for Electric Objects.
- You will set the annual budget for art at Electric Objects, hire and build a team of capable curators, writers, and editors, and represent art/editorial strategy at the executive level of the company.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have 5-8+ years of experience in art curation, writing, and/or editing.
- You are an excellent writer.
- You have seen how different organizations work, and have built and led teams around complex creative projects.
- You are as operationally savvy as you are creative, and you have a bias to action. You like moving quickly.
- You have experience working with artists to create new art.
- You have a passion for and interest in the history and future of art, and you enjoy connecting your work to conversations happening in the present.
Director of Business Development
We’re looking for an enthusiastic leader who can build our Business Development team as well as lead our retail and distribution strategy. The ideal person thrives on the chaos of the startup environment, can develop and execute a winning sales strategy, and has some experience with consumer electronics and retail.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Define our business development strategy and drive our ongoing sales and partnerships efforts in the US and internationally.
- Source and engage with potential online / offline retail partners to maximize sales and distribution while maintaining healthy margins for the business.
- Identify potential B2B customers and convert them into large corporate accounts.
- Partner with Marketing, Product and Operations to improve our value proposition and brand awareness in the market.
- Proactively seek new business development opportunities and optimize strategy and execution accordingly.
Here's what we’re looking for:
- 7 to 10 years of professional experience including business development and commercial partnerships in the US and (ideally) overseas.
- Proven track record developing consumer electronics distribution strategies, including online channels and brick and mortar stores / chains.
- Experience defining KPIs, setting measurable goals and hiring / managing people with different skill sets and diverse backgrounds.
- Strong interest in working closely with Marketing, Product and Operations.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and initiatives at once.
You’ll report directly to the Founder & CEO. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced business development person who is passionate about the intersection of technology and the arts, and wants to be an important part of a fast growing startup.
Our goal at Electric Objects is to create one of the largest and most forward-thinking collections of digital art on the planet. It’s growing fast, and we need your help to share it with our community.
Here's what you'll do:
- Work with artists to make sure their pieces are optimized for the platform
- Manage the release and production schedule for new collections
- Conduct and publish our weekly Artist Interview
- Design and publish weekly emails
- Manage Production Timeline
- Schedule check ins, due dates, collection and interview release dates
- Execute quarterly open calls
Here's what we’re looking for:
- A proven interest in digital art
- Experience writing about art online
- Strong communication skills
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
This is a part-time paid internship in NYC.